* Trust the good reviews, as they’re correct about Arrival.
* I like the movie’s implicit criticism of morons, which is too rare. Too often in movies the institution is the bad guy and the uncredentialed are, automatically and by virtue of being outsiders, the good guys. Contagion (the movie) also has this quality. It’s also rare to see academics depicted as admirable (or useful).
* It’s a stranger and somber movie, maybe not keeping with the times. It’s also weirdly applicable to current politics.
* Think of it too as a modern The Day the Earth Stood Still, especially because few of us will want to watch the original as a movie. As a cultural artifact and statement of its times it is still interesting.
* See also my 2013 comments on Gravity.