* “Donald Trump, the First President of Our Post-Literate Age.” I’m reminded too of “Twilight of the Books,” from 2007 and now bizarrely, powerfully prescient.
* A charming guide to choosing books.
* “How Stable Are Democracies? ‘Warning Signs Are Flashing Red.’”
* A conversation with Martin Amis, which is really excellent. See here for another.
* Umberto Eco on fascism, from 1995, an essay that I never thought would be relevant again but here we are.
* There’s a reason authoritarians usually begin by assailing the press.
* “What’s Wrong With Literary Studies? Some scholars think the field has become cynical and paranoid.” Finally! Good news.
* Everything mattered: lessons from 2016’s bizarre presidential election.