* “The new atomic age we need,” a particularly useful piece given the venue.
* “Four tough things universities should do to rein in costs.” Or, alternately, “Four tough things columnists should do before writing about universities.” Can both be right? And at what margins? I tend to buy the first link more than the second.
* The Generic City: Boring landscapes impede on our biological need for intrigue. So why are so many buildings so hideous?
* University President: ‘This Is Not Day Care.’ A point that is useful and yet depressing that it is worth making.
* Why the ballpoint pen was such a big deal.
* What happens to countries that vote for socialists.
* SM on what’s happening among humanities peer-reviewed journals.
* In light of recent events: “A Land Without Guns: How Japan Has Virtually Eliminated Shooting Deaths. ”