* Maybe Rome was pretty far from an Industrial Revolution. Sadly. I’d thought “lack of printing press” a big precondition, too.
* Is America falling behind China in science?
* Podcast interview with a pseudonymous recent Harvard grad; there is a transcript, too. The material in the first 15 minutes is boring.
* “Why are there so few economies of scale in construction?”
* “Workplace diversity programmes often fail, or backfire: Many may do more to protect against litigation than to reduce discrimination.” It may be that what we choose to foreground has important consequences.
* “Is “Woke” just PC with faster internet?” A usefully historical take.
* “Nature: Manuscripts that are ideologically impure and ‘harmful’ will be rejected.” In case you’re wondering whether the sciences are immune to ideological fads.
* “On Joseph Tainter: The Collapse of Complex Societies.”
* Arguments in favor of intellectual freedom and the University of Austin.