* How much did Russia’s classic writers earn? Not that much, in many cases.
Donald Trump’s presidency is going to be a disaster for the white working class.” File under “Decisions have consequences.”
* “‘Maybe Americans Should Know What It’s Like to Have a Dictator.’” What I’ve been thinking and sometimes saying.
* From 2015: “American democracy is doomed:” “America’s constitutional democracy is going to collapse.”
* “Apple is doubling down on open source,” good news if it’s true.
* Book reviewing used to be a blood sport. How has it become so benign and polite? Here are some of my thoughts. I like negative reviews.
* Tony Gebely’s Tea: A User’s Guide is out. Know what you’re getting: This is a book that “isn’t about all tea. It’s about specialty tea. Specialty tea production prioritizes quality over quantity.” Phrased differently, it’s a book for obsessive tea nerds, or just obsessive nerds who are now interested in tea. Much of it is definitional and encyclopedic. Expect many sentences like, “The goal of green tea production is to preserve the natural polyphenols in the leaves by preventing oxidation.” Most people are content to drink; this is a book for those who want to know.