* Dissing the Dissertation: MLA considers radical changes in the dissertation. This seems obvious, necessary, long overdue, and welcome.
* The Social Conservative Subterranean Fantasy World Is Exposed, and It’s Frightening; notice this: “Comedians may, in fact, be even bigger beneficiaries than Democratic politicians who are watching a stampede of women voters into their welcoming “we don’t hate you because you’re sexually active” arms.”
* On Jazz; “Listening to Jazz is like simultaneously hearing all the footsteps on the sidewalk of a city. . .”
* The real reason health insurers won’t cover people with pre-existing conditions.
* The Unwelcome Mat, on security Theater and how the U.S.’s idiotic stance border is hurting itself.
* With This Machine, You Can Print Your Own Books at the Local Bookstore; translation: self-publishing is going to grow as this kind of machine spreads.
* Who cares if book publishers are colluding with Apple to raise e-book prices?; as Matt says elsewhere, “the publishing industry is facing intense competition and disruptive change no matter what these guys do, and the DOJ may as well leave them alone.”
* A comment from my friend, “Laila:” “It seems somehow appropriate that your follower was a prostitute.” Oh?
* Fewer people are taking the LSAT—and, if they’re smart, fewer will go to law school.