* Memphis Meats Bets That Lab-Grown Meat Can Solve the Global Food Crisis.
* “Why can’t we cure the common cold?” Turns out that we likely can be choose not to for economic, legal, and regulatory reasons, which is terrible.
* “Rising Rents Are Pushing More Tenants Past the Breaking Point.” Maybe this will get more voters interested in the seemingly boring issue of zoning.
* From The Economist (and thus likely not an outright crank or virtue signaling piece), “Why do women still earn a lot less than men? When they do the same job, though, their salaries are practically the same.”
* The university must be the site of the next Reformation – here’s why.” I’m not convinced this must be true, but it could be true. The writer is also missing a lot of the other functions universities serve, the most important of which may actually be coaching, encouragement, and goal setting.
* “The White-Minstrel Show,” which went all over the Internet when it was published but which I’m just now getting to.
* “Too Many People Dream of a Charmed Life in Academia: Brilliant colleagues. Curious students. High status. Earning less than half of what a kindergarten teacher makes.” Regular readers of course know this, but based on the way grad schools keep filling up it appears most people do not.
* “An argument that professors shouldn’t stay silent about threats to speech on campus.” More easily said than done, especially because most faculty are contingent; I think the story of administration cowardice is most interesting here.
* “The Last Days of the Leather Fortress,” about the Armory in San Francisco and its longtime use by an adult film company; link is likely SFW as the story is published by Hazlitt.
* “The world in 2076: The population bomb has imploded.” Anyone worried about overpopulation is fighting the last war and ought to read Bryan Caplan’s Selfish Reasons to Have More Kids.
* “Record surge in atmospheric CO2 seen in 2016.”
* “Why Professors Are Writing Crap That Nobody Reads.” In short, they’re incentivized to.
* “Russia Uses Its Oil Giant, Rosneft, as a Foreign Policy Tool.” Another reason to prefer electric cars.