* Wire: A modern, encrypted communication app. It’s alleged not to have Skype’s backdoors.
* “Handful of Biologists Went Rogue and Published Directly to Internet.” This should really not be shocking or newsworthy in 2016. That it is, is shocking and newsworthy.
* “After Cash: All Fun and Games Until Somebody Loses a Bank Account.” The drive towards cashless societies baffles me, since it further concentrates an enormous amount of power in the hands of unaccountable, indifferent, power-mad bureaucrats.
* Tyler Cowen on * The Curious Connection between Violent Extremism and Education. Note that Diego Gambetta, one of the co-authors, also wrote the excellent Codes of the Underworld, discussed by me at the link in 2010.
* “Prosecutor known for fighting prostitution charged with paying for sex hundreds of times;” the phrase “victimless crime” comes to mind.
* Good news (well, the bringing-killers-to-justice part is good, the death part is not): “A toddler got meningitis. His anti-vac parents gave him an herbal remedy. The toddler died. Now his parents are on trial.”